Monday, October 09, 2006

Jennifer Hudson Sings "And I Am Telling You" from Dreamgirls

Theatre and movie fans have been waiting for this one: The movie version of Michael Bennett's "Dreamgirls." For me, the reason I'm so excited about this is because it's written and directed by Bill Condon, who I think is one of the greatest moviemakers in Hollywood. I met him at a premiere once and he's really a very humble man.

In "Dreamgirls," there is a huge number that closes the first act. It's an iconic Broadway anthem called "I'm Not Going" and it was originally performed by Jennifer Holliday, who blew the walls down. In the movie version, this song will be performed by Jennifer Hudson of "American Idol" fame. Does she "get" it? We report. You decide. Here is the audio clip from the movie:

Photo courtesy of PRNewswire Photo Service. (Anika Noni Rose, Beyoncé Knowles and Jennifer Hudson)

Here's Jennifer Holiday singing the same song. Jennifer Holliday, Sheryl Lee Ralph, Loretta Devine, and other original cast members perform "It's All Over" and "And I'm Telling You (I'm Not Going)" on the 1982 Tony Awards.:


Here's the trailer for the movie:



TAGS:
Post a Comment

Hal Prince talks about Zero Mostel