Sunday, December 14, 2008

Musings, Plans for the Future.

I think I've finally come down from Dec. 1st. The hard cold reality of having a big event, such as we had at Davies Symphony Hall (I love saying that), is that when it's over, it's really over. No matter how long it might linger in the mind, it all went too fast. Kathleen had barely raised her baton before it was over. Did they applaud? I don't even remember.

Happily, I knew this going in. I was prepared for it, emotionally. That's why I celebrated all the days leading up to it -- the anticipation is so energizing and uplifting. But now, the letdown. I can't go back and recreate what happened that night. It's in the past.

Still, there is much to look forward to.

For people in San Francisco who might have missed it, the Chorus is going to be performing an abridged version of "New World Waking" for the annual "Home for the Holidays" concert on Dec. 24. If you're in town, be sure to go.

Also, that night, if things go according to schedule, the live recording of "New World Waking" in its entirety will be released as a part of the two-disc package of the best commissions and music from the 30th anniversary season. I'm totally on pins and needles. Kathleen said the sound of the recording is fantastic.

Not only that, but Kathleen and I will be preparing the full score so that other choruses and orchestras can perform it -- and not just gay choruses. It's entirely appropriate for high schools, colleges and universities. Any musical directors reading this please feel free to contact me. The piece is totally scalable to any size group.

I've also been talking to some local musicians here, all part of the Kulak's Woodshed family of musicians, songwriters and singers, about forming a big multi-voice sprawling rock band to perform New World Waking in local churches and theatres (two of which have already told me they want it).

It's great that NWW was performed by a big orchestra and chorus. But it doesn't NEED to be performed that way. As I told someone asking me about it, I could literally sit and do the piece all my myself if I had to, or if someone asked me to. (I'd just prefer to have all those harmonies).

So, I can see doing this with a small band and a few singers. The idea is still in the "making it up as I go along" stage -- please don't assault me with questions asking for details -- but it's a matter of putting everyone together, teaching them the music and watching it unfold. The image I have in my mind is like a big "Mad Dogs & Englishmen" type of group with moms, dads, kids, dogs -- whoever wants to join in. Do it as a benefit.

I've gotten some very enthusiastic responses from several terrific musicians and singers who told they're totally in. The Woodshed Family Band! And I've gotten offers from a couple of venues wanting to host it. All from just wondering out loud.

So, who knows. Dreaming is fun. And the best part about dreaming this stuff up is that it's all very possible.

Hey, I just felt something. What is it? It's tugging at my insides. It feels good. Wait. I know. How did I start this email? I was talking about how December 1st is over. I was hinting at the natural "let-down" one feels after a big night is finished and done. But now I'm feeling something else.

Ah, yes. It's back.

The sweet tug of anticipation. Now, that didn't take long, did it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Happy Talk" from "South Pacific" (I had it by Nancy Wilson/Cannon Adderly) says:

You gotta have a dream, if you don't have a dream,
How you gonna have a dream come true?

Dream on...
(that is from Aerosmith :-)

Chris said...

Since I missed the debut with SFGMC, now I have hope to be able to see it in the future....dreaming is good!

Steve Schalchlin said...

Chris, try to see the show on the 24th!