Friday, January 15, 2010

What Sholom Aleichem Said To His Granddaughter.

Last night, Jim went to the Paley to host a showing of an early TV broadcast of a play called "The World of Sholom Aleichem," the great Jewish humorist. (When he met Mark Twain, he said to Twain, "They call me the Yiddish Mark Twain." Twain responded, "They call me the American Sholom Aleichem.")

There, we met.. well, I'll let Jim tell the story:
Tonight, at The Paley Center event, I met an incredible woman who was at the filming of "The World of Sholom Aleichem, the film we intoduced. She became a writer like her grandfather and wrote the book, "Up The Down Staircase." When she was small, her grandfather would say, "If you hold my hand tighter, I will write better." Her grandfather was Sholom Aleichem, her name is Bel Kaufman and, oh yes, she is 99 years young.

No comments: