Thursday, August 29, 2013

Metropolitan Room Update. Brochu plus Broadway Cares / Equity Fights AIDS

Jim Brochu, popular Broadway star and entertainer extraordinaire, has agreed to be my VERY SPECIAL GUEST STAR on October 27th at The Metropolitan Room.

I know you're asking how was I able to secure him. 

I can only say that he likes me. 



I had something else on my mind, too, in thinking about this show. 

Some time ago, I wrote a letter to Broadway Cares / Equity Fights AIDS to let them know how much the services they fund were vital to me, and continue to be, not just for me, but for millions of people. They want to use it in a fundraising letter, so I asked if I could make my Metropolitan Room a fundraiser for them.

I want to express my gratitude any way I can because every single BC/EFA fundraiser leaves me in tears just as much as singing in front of the Quilt leaves me in tears. Because I don't just see a Quilt. 

Every patch contains hundreds of thousands of people's faces, not just those who passed, but their families and friends. I hear them breathing. All of them. I see their traces. I see the same thing when I look out at a crowd supporting BC/EFA. 

To not be forgotten is the most basic of human yearnings. I know it motivates me to keep on fighting and living. 

I'm also challenged every day to be worthy of all the help I received. To be thankful and grateful for this life, a gift that I did not earn. And no, this show isn't going to raise millions. What I will do is split 50/50 of what I earn.

I have a recording studio bill to pay off, after all. Then, there's rent. Food for the cat...

No comments: