Best known for the Off-Broadway musicals, "The Last Session," "The Big Voice: God or Merman?" and "New World Waking," a song cycle for peace and justice.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Two Hours in John Kilgore's Studio.

There were three of us. Bill Goffi brought his guitar.

And we were joined by a friend of the Bonus Round who was 12 when we met back in 2001. He had called me last week, asking if I remembered him, and that he's in town now. Aspiring stand-up comic. I told him I think of him as family and that he should just show up to the session on Tuesday. For a man who is theoretically childless, I have a lot of children. (His story is below).

After weeks of rehearsing and preparing, but only to make sure the songs were really in my fingers and blood -- you really can get over-rehearsed, I played and sang through 13 songs. It was thrilling. It was exhilarating.

I slept the rest of the day and most of the next day, though I have kept up my training. Every day, without fail, I've done my roadwork, no matter how badly I would rather be sitting here writing a blog entry about it.

(After the session, the three of us were sitting in Blossom, a vegetarian fast food place. Jim unexpectedly walked by, saw us and snapped a photo.


Then, he came in.

Jim Brochu, Alex Thomas, Steve Schalchlin.
THE ALEX BONUS ROUND STORY:
Alex Thomas and I met when he was 12. I was in Columbus, Ohio, singing a concert at a hospital. I remember a small stage. I remember many people were wearing lab coats and uniforms. And, as I was writing this, I remembered that it's all documented in the original Bonus Round diary: July 16, 2001

Sarah Glaser, a social worker there had organized the concert. She had come up to me, "I have a little friend who would like to introduce you. Dressed up as Linda Richmond." [The Mike Myers character from Saturday Night Live who loved Barbra Streisand.]

What? I'm gonna turn that down? I won't embarrass him by posting his Linda pics. But I think it's great that he had that kind of chutzpah, even back then.

Anyway, he called me last week and asked me if I remembered him. I told him to show up at the studio and we'd hang out a bit. 


And that's how the session went. I am very happy with the result. Next step is mastering. 
Post a Comment