Thursday, October 11, 2007

Foot Doctor.

I finally saw my foot doctor so we could talk about the incredible pain that I've been having on an intermittent basis. What I told him was that I was having more frequent attacks of neuropathy in the last three toes of my right foot.

He asked, "What kind of pain? Burning? Sharp?

I said, "It's like someone hits it with a hammer. But, in the very next instant, I can squeeze those toes and they don't hurt at all."

He then began to squeeze my feet. Beginning by squeezing the entire foot, he then reached my toes and gave each a little squeeze. No real pain. Then he put his thumb on the ball of the foot beneath my third toe and squeezed.

WHOA! I jumped about a foot.

"That hurt?" He asked. "Uh, yeah."

Then he went to the second toe and hit the same spot on the ball, just at the joint of the toe. And WOW! That was it. That was the spot. That hurt like hell.

He said, "I know what's wrong, but we can take x-rays just to make sure it's not some kind of injury."

Here's what's happening: That foot bone going out to that toe is the longest one in my foot (and in most people's feet). Therefore, the big toe bones are kind of spreading out when I take a step on a flat surface, putting all the weight on this joint. The nerves and muscles become inflamed and they send out shock waves to my toes -- and because the nerves are damaged in my toes, it feels like someone hits them with a hammer.

Luckily, I was there to pick up new shoes (because of the diabetes). They have an orthopedic insert which distributes the weight around. I could tell immediately that this provided relief to the pressure on that bone. They aren't the prettiest shoes in the world. More like black gym shoes. But they work. That pain will probably nag me for awhile, but it's just inflammation of that joint. There's probably a little arthritis involved, too, he said.

And there you have it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beats having to call the toe truck... toe-morrow's a new day. Hope your insurance foots the bill, hate for them to become your arch enemy. Of course, with the pain going away, think of the career moves you can make:

open a greenhouse specializing in toe-piary
interior design for pessimists: "Mope 'N' Toe-pe"
go evangelical, become a heel-er
write a travel guide for Toe-ronto
interview Nina Toe-tenberg
construct several improvisations using feet and record your new CD: "Toe Jam"
write toe-rid fiction
emcee the award show for shoe and short models, you know, the "Toe-Knees"
conduct a seance and channel Ed Sullivan's sidekick Toe-po Gigio
become a Japanese locksmith in Toe-key-o
collect subway toe-kens

...and if none of that strikes your fancy, not to worry. I still think you're toe-tally awesome!

oh - and say hello to your sole-mate!

hee hee hee hee hee hee hee

Steve Schalchlin said...

Step away from the computer. You have totally lost your mind.

Anonymous said...

::goofy grin::

Okay. If you find it (my mind), will you let me know?

(just for the record, I walked in to my classroom on Thursday with a music stand over my head. I told the 5th graders that "I under stand."

Blank stares. A couple of rolled eyes. And one voice from the back: "hey, that one was pretty good... for you!")

Jackie said...

Arn't doctors great? Glad you are getting some relief.

BTW, we saw "Before I Disappear" recently and love your arrangements and playing!

Steve Schalchlin said...

"Before I Disappear" is Alexandra Billings' musical autobiography. It was easy arranging for her. I sat down and played the songs until she said, "Do it THAT way!"

Isn't she great?

JoyZeeBoy said...

I totally relate, brother. My diabetic neuropathy is a real pain. Doctors will ask, "describe the pain in your feet"

Uh, well that would be numb, tingly, burning, tight, icky-ka-ka.

IT HURTS, that's the pain in my feet.

Anonymous said...

Thank God that's all it is, Punkin.
Thank God.

Steve Schalchlin said...

I actually wish it were something more easily treated. Because it's a pressure point, I have found myself walking very gingerly, always aware of that spot at the end of that bone. I feel like an old man staggering around. And I'm still not sure what this means about my being able to run and exercise.