Monday, December 17, 2007

A Little Health Update.

Someone asked me about my health. So, here's a little update. First of all, today I'm down with a throat infection. I get these every year about this time. So, I have my antibiotics and Jim just made me some delicious chili, which radiates heat in my upper chest area.

I still have a zero viral load, so the HIV is under control thanks to the (occasionally mind-bending) drug Atripla, which is a combination of three anti-virals combined into one tablet. A lot of people can't tolerate the Sustiva, which is one of those anti-virals. It can cause a lot of sleeplessness along with nightmares.

My foot has been okay lately, but I can feel that nerve just waiting for me to step wrong. It's amazing how instantaneous the searing pain can hit. So, I kind of feel like an old man when I walk since I favor that foot. This has also made it difficult for me to exercise. However, I've gotten a few good long walks in.

The test we were going to do on my kidneys didn't happen. I gave them a full day's worth of urine, but the person at the doctor's office who received the jug didn't know they were supposed to do a blood draw -- and I didn't know it, either. So, it was a waste of energy. I'm going to do it again after I get back from our Christmas break (which starts on Friday).

Still, overall, I feel I'm doing very well. I'm strong and relatively healthy (compared to "normals") but I have a few tests coming up to see what's up with my kidneys (or if it's about my kidneys at all -- I have too much protein in my urine).

Anyway, today I'm down and staying still. The cats are lying on me. Jim is feeding me hot soups, chilis and tea. And I love Christmas time.

6 comments:

eba said...

Thank you, Steve. Get better soon! And enjoy Christmas.

-- liz

Devin Richards said...

Feel better Stevie!!

Jackie said...

Wow, Jim's chili sounds good and his TLC even better. You can't help but be better soon. : )

Mike Airhart said...

I'm a big-time chili lover. What kind of chili does Jim make -- Texas, Cincinnati, terlingua? Is it for sale? :-D

Anyhow, I hope you feel better soon.

Steve Schalchlin said...

Jim's chili is whatever was in that bag of seasoning he bought. :)

JoyZeeBoy said...

OMG, I can't believe you and I had the same f*ck up regarding the day's worth of urine and the blood test(I dropped the 10 pound container of p*ss off in the morning -- but nobody mentioned blood, so I left).

Like you, I had to collect another load the following week.

Bummer.