Thursday, April 29, 2010

New World Waking: A Community Sing?

I've been thinking a lot about "New World Waking" and its next evolution. I kept thinking that it should be more open source, more "community sing." In other words, announce a performance and anyone who wants to sing in it, just show up.


I've also been informally testing the idea at the Sunday night Salon, which Mark Janas created, and which is now at Etcetera Etcetera. For instance, a couple of weeks ago, I got this room full of New York singers singing "Lazarus Come Out." Previously, I had gotten them all singing "My Thanksgiving Prayer." Both times, it sounded glorious!

So, these experiments have been fun, but now someone has approached me about possibly performing New World Waking as part of a performance festival next month.

Next month.

So, I have asked a couple of the singers who performed with Jim at the Easter Bonnet competition to join me, and I'm going to ask more. There are a number of great solos we can rehearse, and then let the chorus join in, with maybe one or two simple rehearsals.

At least, that's the idea.

I'm also looking at the list of songs. I have other numbers that might fit. At this point, it's only 45 minutes long. I could see it comfortably going a hour.

And I have one month to make it happen. Piece of cake.

No comments: