Friday, December 21, 2012

"Gloria Jubilus" to debut Christmas Eve in Brooklyn.

December 24
9:30pm Carols.
10:30pm Eucharist

Christ Church Bay Ridge
7301 Ridge Boulevard
Brooklyn, NY 11209

"Gloria Jubilus" is my own composition, a three-minute "Gloria" for choir and organ from the full Mass, which will debut in the Spring. On Christmas Eve, it will be a part of the "Eucharist"* section. The organ in the church is just newly installed. This will be our first major concert with this incredible instrument, which will be played by Kalle Toivio, a virtuoso organist from Finland, conducted by Mark Janas, composer, Leonard Bernstein protege and teacher at Manhattan School of Music along with the Christ Church Bay Ridge choir, Fr. Jeffrey Hamblin, MD.

I hadn't made a big deal out of it here on the blog. because it's a schlep to get to Brooklyn. I didn't want my friends to feel obligated. We all get so many invitations for things in this town. Friends doing shows. Other people doing shows. It never ends. And everything costs money, which no one really has. And Jim and I much prefer staying home.

However, it is happening and a few people asked for details. I do not believe there's any kind of admission charge. The congregation is friendly and from every station in life. If you're curious and have no other plans, join us on Christmas Eve. I'll be the tenor in the back row.

*EDIT: I just discovered that it will be sung during the Eucharist at 10:30. I've changed it in the text above, which used to say "Carols."

1 comment:

Adam Hemming said...

Steve... you really outdid yourself with this composition. Truly beautiful, complex and poignant.