Wednesday, June 03, 2009

"The Group" at Kulak's May 25, 2009

Returning to "The Group," one of the seminal four songs that formed the core of the score of The Last Session, is an emotional experience. (Those four songs saved my life and gave us the inspiration to keep on writing what became "The Last Session." I didn't really know that I would be playing this song last Monday night. I showed up at Kulak's Woodshed, as I always do on Monday nights, with no particular idea in mind.

But, the day before, I had sung "The Group" for a group of Jewish high school students down in Orange County, and it was fresh on my mind. The original song, written out of very honest passion, used the f-word twice. But I didn't feel comfortable doing that for the kids, and Paul doesn't want us using adult language on the air, so I sang my PG-13 version. (And, somehow, it seems even more cutting to say "stupid queer" instead of "fucking queer").



But I think it's a good performance.

Meanwhile, this morning I had a meeting with Jim Latham and told him I wanted him to produce my next album -- that it was time. I now have enough material, and I know how I want it to sound.

Now I just have to figure out how to pay for it.

No comments: