Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Do Something You Believe In?

Every time I get one of the daily emails from Seth Godin's blog that vibes with me, it's amazing how deeply resonant it can be. The Moment of Highest Leverage reminded me of when I began writing the TLS songs. Seth says:
You’ve already won (or you’ve already lost). Right now, you can choose to do what’s in your heart, you can bring your real work to the world, instead of a lesser version, a version you think the market wants. After all, what do you have to lose?
At the time, I thought, "Well, screw it. I'm gonna die soon anyway. Might as well just put it all out there and who cares if it's a song Clive Davis would give to Whitney Houston?" (Which, at the time, was what every songwriter in L.A. was trying to do, which is why so many bad songs showed up in our workshops and seminars.)

Just tell the truth. And, most of all, write something YOU believe in. Not what you think everyone else may want. What have you got to lose?


No comments: