Sunday, January 05, 2014

Fire in our high rise this morning.

About 11am, we suddenly smelled smoke. Checked the kitchen. Nothing was on. Saw smoke seeming to come from the lighting fixtures. Opened the door to the apartment and the hallway was filled was smoke. The instructions on the door said to STAY INSIDE APARTMENT in case of fire. (Two bodies were found in the stairwell, including a dead dog, which was left in our hallways for a moment.)

I grabbed my camera to take videos of our plight. Here is the first one, looking down the ten floors to the fire below. Our balcony was alternately smoky and then clear, depending on the direction of the wind.

It was very frightening to know we had no place to go, no exit from the building. The smoke was acrid, so we breathed through wet towels and waited it out.

Soon, the black smoke turned white and we knew the worst was over.

Jim and I are both fine but we still can't go downstairs. Luckily, we have plenty of food.

Will update soon.

No comments: