Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Christine Ebersole sings "Around The World"

A few days ago, we were invited to an awards ceremony for the ASCAP Foundation where they give out cash prizes and special recognition to new and upcoming writers and composers. Most of the awards went to teenagers or students who showed a great deal of promise. Marvin Hamlisch was given a special lifetime achievement award.

One of the nicest things that happened was that when we arrived, we were greeted by almost everyone with, "Hey! We saw your NY Times review!" Alan & Marilyn Bergman, Stephen Schartz, Marvin Hamlisch. It seemed like everyone in the world had seen that review and were giving us lots and lots of support and kudos. I still don't feel like a star, mind you. But I do feel like people who matter in this business are beginning to know who I am. And that's a good thing for our little show.

I had to leave a little early, before all the ceremonies were done because I needed to lie down and nap before our evening performance, but just before I did, they gave an award to Scott Frankel and Michael Korie for their incredible new musical, "Grey Gardens." If you haven't seen the documentary of Grey Gardens, about "Little Edie" and her mother, relatives of Jackie Bouvier Kennedy, go NOW and get it. You'll never forget it. They are two women who are more or less trapped with each other in this big ratty house. Edie walks around wearing a shirt over her hair like it's long hair. Cats are running all over the place. It's pretty much indescribable. Just rent it. The fact that they made a musical about it is even more extraordinary.

Then, as a surprise guest, Christine Ebersole, the star of "Grey Gardens," came out and sang. Even out of costume at a big event, I was completely and totally mesmerized. By the song. By the performance. If you appreciate great acting and singing -- and if you've ever seen "Grey Gardens," the docmentary, you'll see that Christine caught this character, syllable by syllable. I was completely transfixed. I also had my video camera on. Just watch. I hope posting this is okay. If not, someone will tell me and I'll take it down. But for now, a gift to you:



, ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is God at work.

Anonymous said...

She really is mesmerizing. And she nails the voice. Thanks for posting it.

Your devoted Farmboyz

Anonymous said...

Steve - this is Alex's friend Sheila. I saw Grey Gardens about a month ago and I have been unable to get it out of my mind. Christine Ebersole gives truly one of the greatest live performances I have ever seen.

Thank you thank you for posting this.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this.I saw this amazing Woman in this brilliant show two days ago. I cannot get over Christine Ebersoles performance. I'm stunned. I can't stop watching this haunting performance.
Thank you.