Thursday, May 24, 2007

Why It's Wrong to "Hate" Jerry Falwell

I have now fully repented of my hate of Jerry Falwell, and it took only one photograph to show my why I was wrong. Because then you turn into this:

Yes, that's hatemongering Jesus Lunatic Rev. Fred Phelps who is picketing Falwell's funeral. BTW, Phelps was there when I marched with the Soul Force group to confront Falwell. He was approached by Randy Thomas, the "exgay" minister with Exodus International. Randy tried to tell him about how he "used" to be gay, but Fred's response was something like, "Well, then, shut up about it!"

To learn more about how easily hate can become an addiction unto itself, read "Addicted To Hate".

Hat tip: Joe.My.God & Towleroad.

EDIT: In the comments to this blog, Michael said, I think Paul Monette said it best:
"Go without hate, but not without rage. Heal the world."

5 comments:

JoyZeeBoy said...

I have always wondered about the real motives behind hatemongering towards us.

Let's face it, people who don't have a problem with it... well, they don't have a problem with it, do they?

Whereas people who just can't seem to stop thinking about it... all the time... might very well have a serious problem with it. And about it.

I don't hate Fred. I think he's mentally ill and seriously self-loathing. He doesn't care who he pisses off. Everybody knows he's nuts.

Jerry was far more insidious. He smiled at us whle putting knives in our backs.

Anonymous said...

ya know, this is all so complicated...
Sadly, it seems there are always people hating other people. All over the planet are people who dearly love to find someone else to blame for everything. But perspective must be considered. As the child of holocaust survivors, I know that sometimes you have to fight back. That is my personal frame of reference and in this respect I believe we are very different. I think my awareness of how my relatives were murdered by hatred is why I was so active with Act-Up. I fought back against a government that ignored AIDS because gay people didn’t matter. To me it was as much a matter of life and death as the holocaust was to my parents. I'm not sure what the answer is in today's context, but I do know there are more people than ever in the world who hate enough to want other people dead.
I think Paul Monette said it best:
"Go without hate, but not without rage. Heal the world."
-Michael

Steve Schalchlin said...

> I think Paul Monette said it best:
"Go without hate, but not without rage. Heal the world."

A great quote. I might have to embed that in the blog entry.

Elizabeth Pax said...

I don't understand... why is he protesting Falwell's funeral? I thought they were on the same side.

Scott said...

No, Yuki, the only people on Fred Phelps' side are his family.