Thursday, April 03, 2008

Just In Case You Missed It.

David Archuleta has had a couple of rough weeks. He was faltering as he tried to fit into the different genres of singing being thrown at him. This week, he sings a Dolly Parton song and so completely inhabits this song, it's almost heart stopping.

I'm a total sucker for country gospel soul, and this kid knows how to sing it. He also has a quality that I've been accused of. He makes people cry.

I know I must seem like a teenager posting this. But no, it's more than that. It's professional. It's the songwriter in me is that's ringing this bell. He sings like I write.

I love the way his voice sounds in the intro section because it's not drenched in the live reverb. And watch what his voice does to Dolly. You can see her losing it right there and that's not acting.

He needs to be singing my songs. He needs to sing "Going It Alone."



Wait. I can see it now. David Archuleta singing "Out Of Many Comes One" at the inauguration of Barack Obama!

6 comments:

Nancy P said...

Larry and I love young David and he's so talented. Best to you and Jim!

Love, Nancy

Bev Sykes said...

I was so pleased to see David back on track again this week.

Anonymous said...

Any chance you can smuggle him one of your demo CD's?

Use some of those connections and find out where they're staying and pay somebody to deliver a whole stack of CD's!

Amy Lynn said...

Steve, I think when you do your concerts, David should do "Imagine"....

Devin Richards said...

think archuletta is absolutely adorable. but Cook is the one who's cookin'. i think he might win. he's a real musician, finds a different angle to come from than everyone else with his music, does his own arrangements and transfers well on the itunes recordings.
archuletta is lovely though and has a very pretty voice. he's already got a recording contract guaranteed from the press i hear. and well he should. he'll make a lotta people happy. can't wait to see him singing a little older.

Steve Schalchlin said...

Devin, David Cook is definitely the most accomplished "artist" on the show in that he really knows who he is, and he makes each song he sings sound like his own.