Thursday, June 02, 2011

Driving Miss Dancer

Marge Champion, at 91, has more energy and zip than anyone else I know. When she heard I was going up to the Berkshires to see Jim, she said I could ride with her. In the car, along with her friend, Tom, who drove us, was her cat, Daisy.




At one point, we were approaching a house that she particularly likes, and I got her, on camera, saying that if the owner was single, she'd marry him just for the view.

Loving Marge Champion is the easiest thing in the world to do. She goes to every show in New York, knows dancing like few others, and, for me, makes the case that if you dance every day, no matter how old you are, you will always look good and feel healthy. (We Baptists don't dance, of course. And, all due respect to the preacher, this is one of the dumbest Baptist beliefs. Tell Gene Kelly not to dance.)

Trying to tell her whole story here would take too long, but I took these pictures from a souvenir program.



Marge and Gower Champion were America's sweethearts.


With Donald Saddler, she more recently got rave reviews for their appearance in "Follies."
It was a great ride, and great to see Jim. I'll continue my trip to the Berkshires in the next blog entry.

2 comments:

~ Sil in Corea said...

What a marvelous lady she is! Thank you for sharing your trip with Marge and her friends.

JakeinNYC said...

What an icon. :) thanks for sharing