Friday, April 14, 2006

Actual Holy Dirt!

Thanks to reader drpsduke, we have located an actual site that uses the description "holy dirt" in its profile online. It's Sanctuario de Chimayo in Northern New Mexico. According to the site:

The Santuario is world-renowned for the healing powers of the holy dirt found there. In the very spot where Tewa peoples used the soil and water for medical purposes, the Catholic church was completed in 1813, and gradually became known as the Lourdes of the Southwest, particularly during the time of the Easter peregrinaje (procession), which swells the flock of worshippers to the thousands.


I have to say, though, that I am skeptical. As far as I know, no one has been murdered, assassinated or slaughtered over this so-called "holy dirt." Therefore, it can't be very holy. As we look around the world, and as I wrote in my song, the more people who die because of your holy object, the more holy it is. What? You disagree? I'm just looking at the examples being set by the major religions on this planet. Surely they can't be wrong.

No comments: