Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The First New World Waking Rehearsal.

Last night -- and I'll have video or pics later -- was one of the most transcendent and beautiful nights of my entire life.

I got to hear the full SFGMC sing my songs from New World Waking! and, as I wrote in a note to Kathleen, it was a magnificent experience.

First, she had me talk about the genesis of the work, beginning with playing John Lennon's piano, then about Gabi's Song and how Gabi turned tragedy into triumph and activism on behalf of school children. Then we would alternate. I would talk about the origins of each song and the chorus would sing it.

The first thing that made me happy was that every. song. worked. Each one was rich and beautiful. The chorus poured their hearts and souls into every number.

But it was "My Thanksgiving Prayer" that really DID it did it. And it should. Thanks to Kathleen's sensitive and complex arrangement -- a tour de force of both simplicity and complexity all at the same time -- what I told her in a note was the she took a simple song and turned it into a masterpiece. I was so caught up in it, I forgot it was mine!

I had my video camera on for all of it, so I'll post some things for you later on.

But this night is one I just wanted to mark in time.

Afterwards, a bunch of us went out and hung together, talking and laughing. It was so much fun. I got back to Ken's about 1 and was still buzzing, buzzing, buzzing. Didn't get to sleep until almost 3.

December 1st is going to be glorious. I cannot wait. And it's only a month away!

4 comments:

Devin Richards said...

so wish i could be there!
i can't wait to see videos!

sonia said...

I'm so looking forward to hearing it! Congratulations on how it is coming together -- it doesn't surprise me at all that the songs fit so beautifully.

JoyZeeBoy said...

I'm real happy for you, Songboy. [smooch]

Anonymous said...

Ah, wish that i could've experienced that with you! what a buzz. So happy for you am i! Love karena