Monday, March 22, 2010

I Loved YANK! at the York.

I cannot say enough good things about the new musical, YANK!, about two gay soldiers during WW2. (Jim and I have met a couple of WW2 couples down through the years).

I was captured from the first moment and it held me through to the end, especially Bobby Steggert (who I knew from a short stint on All My Children, and who was terrific in last season's 110 In The Shade), whose deeply emotional, and yet light-hearted, completely present performance left me with tears burning in my eyes and a lump in my throat.

Since I've never liked pastiche songs, written as if from the 40s, I approached this show with trepidation. But the score moved the show along beautifully, and though I wouldn't say the writers are in the same category as a Cole Porter, it didn't matter because, as a whole, the piece is a well-told story, directed with fluidity and magic.

The York should be very proud. A wonderful, wonderful show.

No comments: