Monday, June 18, 2007

Devin Rocks.

Last night at the Salon hosted by Mark Janas, I had one of the best times of my life singing. I don't know why. Maybe because it had been too long, but I think also it's due to the fact that I have so many new songs, thanks to my new lyricist, Amy Lynn Shapiro. I can't praise her work loudly enough. I'll post some more things later, including some photos and video.

Meanwhile, check out the brilliant review of Devin Richards' cabaret act at Cabaret Exchange.
Exuding as much charisma as confidence, and with a song list that celebrated composers ranging from Cole Porter to Steve Schalchlin, the devilishly handsome young singer conjured the classics, while remaining refreshingly hip and modern.

Look at that! "From Cole Porter to Steve Schalchlin!" I love that.
He blended the Carpenters' "Sing a Song" with Billy Rose and Vincent Youmans' "Without A Song," and sang Schalchlin's "I Want to Make Music," from The Big Voice: God or Merman? A scatted and multi-lingual rendition of "Fever" and Cole Porter's "Too Darn Hot" followed, which Richards, a polyglot, used to demonstrate how much sexier everything sounds in French. (It's true, but saying it in a satin-smooth bass voice doesn't hurt, either).

The reason I posted that quote was because "The Big Voice" was not mentioned in Devin's program, nor did he mention it from the stage. So, that means the reviewer KNEW it from the show! YAY ME!
As debuts go, this was an impressive one, and may this cabaret be the first of many. Mr. Richards has talent and charisma to spare, and certainly belongs in the spotlight.

I saw a video made of the show after I got here, and this reviewer is right. Devin was brilliant in his show. It was very modern and hip, but managed to include classics and his own unique spins on songs you never thought could be reimagined.

Thanks, Dev, for singing my tunes!

1 comment:

Amy Lynn said...

1. You flatter me.

2. I miss you already.