Monday, January 25, 2010

Stephen Schwartz in the dressing room the other night.

After performances of Zero Hour, lots of people have been coming backstage to visit. One of them was Jack Aaron, an old actor who we always see at the Polish Tea Room, famous for an old Alka Seltzer ad.

After Stephen realized who he was, he came back to the room after visiting, went up to him and said, "You're Jack Aaron. I just wanted to tell you that many years ago I was an apprentice at this theater and you were very kind to me. I want to thank you for that. It meant a great deal to me."

I don't think Jack realized, at first, who was telling him this.

He said something like, "I'm trying to remember your face."

"I'm Stephen Schwartz and I was just an apprentice and you were very, very kind to me. I never forgot it, and it taught me a lesson. And I want to thank you."

It was really touching. Stephen was both sincere and humble in the exchange. And I thought people who are fans of his would enjoy hearing this.

Jim and Stephen posing:

No comments: