Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Coincidences & Connections.

I was talking to Zollo about the show Friday night. He has some great people playing with him, beginning with Jill Freeman at 8:30. Jill's husband is a great guitarist here in town named Joel Wachbrit. Joel sent me a letter through Facebook telling me that he played on the initial "Living in the Bonus Round" CD. My bassist on that session was Lynn Keller.

I think he was dragged into it with a, "Hey, we're gonna do something nice for this guy who's dying of AIDS."

Also, along for the night, aside from D. Whitney Quinn, supporting Paul, is Bob Malone. He plays his fusion of New Orleans barrelhouse blues, jazz and even classical all over the country. It makes me feel at home.

But when it was my job to help newcomers to LA, Bob was one of the "kids" who walked into the offices of National Academy of Songwriters for advice. I told him something very Simon Colwell-like, "Stop wearing mall clothes." His frequent bassist is Lynn Keller.

Naturally, I had to find out if Lynn was coming to the Woodshed that night. She said she would be. So I asked her to play with me. And she said YES.

Having all these different eras of my life all coming together down at Kulak's is very moving. This community helped keep me alive during a time when I was standing in line at the food bank.

The show is FRIDAY MAY 22 LIVE ONLINE or in person at Kulak's Woodshed.

JD Sebastian from songs4earth will join me on guitar. We're not going to get any rehearsals, so everyone is just gonna wing it. Just the way I like it!

No comments: