Friday, January 19, 2007

Isaiah Apologizes (ABC News release)

From ABC News:

Jan. 18, 2007 — Statement of apology from Isaiah Washington regarding his recent remarks and actions at the Golden Globe awards:

"I apologize to T.R., my colleagues, the fans of the show and especially the lesbian and gay community for using a word that is unacceptable in any context or circumstance. By repeating the word Monday night, I marred what should have been a perfect night for everyone who works on "Grey's Anatomy." I can neither defend nor explain my behavior. I can also no longer deny to myself that there are issues I obviously need to examine within my own soul, and I've asked for help.

I know the power of words, especially those that demean. I realize that by using one filled with disrespect, I have hurt more than T.R. and my colleagues. With one word, I've hurt everyone who has struggled for the respect so many of us take for granted. I welcome the chance to meet with leaders of the gay and lesbian community to apologize in person and to talk about what I can do to heal the wounds I've opened.

T.R.'s courage throughout this entire episode speaks to his tremendous character. I hold his talent, and T.R. as a person, in high esteem. I know a mere apology will not end this, and I intend to let my future actions prove my sincerity."

What I find interesting is how much this statement, "I can neither defend nor explain my behavior. I can also no longer deny to myself that there are issues I obviously need to examine within my own soul, and I've asked for help," sounds exactly like what Michael Richards said after his N-word outburst.

I wonder if they have the same publicist?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee.........could he have just apologized. What a bunch of gar-bage. Perhaps his issue is sobriety which affected his mouth. Did he say he was going into treatment?

Again, I just want to say congratulations for this great run you two are having.

Bev Sykes said...

I put this comment in Alex's journal and I'll add it here too. Do you find it offensive that according to the media, Michael Richards "used the n-word" but Washington "said faggot." Why is "faggot" an OK word to use in a news report, but "nigger" is not? They are both offensive words to the groups whom they are attacking. Why is it OK to use one in a news story and not the other?

Anonymous said...

ABC threatened to fire him. I'd apologize too if my job was on the line.

Mike said...

It just might be a personal blind spot in his psyche. Who knows.