Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Marie's Crisis

I think Tuesday early evenings at Marie's Crisis with my friend, bartender Christopher Morrison, along with Jack Aaronson at the piano (and friends sitting around singing songs from "Tic Tic Boom" and "bare") is going to be my regular hang-out before the show. Come join us if you're in the city. I've always loved Marie's Crisis, although it could use a little better lighting for my video camera. Also, they've been pushing "Big Voice" down there and letting me sing a bit. It makes for a nice way to warm up before the show.

2 comments:

JoyZeeBoy said...

Steve Darling...

I, of course, no longer set foot in bars for very obvious reasons.

However, you have unearthed a treasure from my past. I was a regular at Marie's from the spring of 1978 through the winter of 1979-80. Thursday nights were "our nights" in those days, Fridays being reserved for the "B&T" crowd. ("B&T" = "bridge and tunnel.")

They used to play Bingo in the late afternoons there ("O-69" was "Carleton Carpenter", the former M-G-M male Ingenue, who'd been a regular there, too, for many years).

There was a waiter named "Chi-Chi." When I was new I once asked Chi-Chi, "where's the toilet?"

"Honey," he responded, "you're in it."

Thomas Paine, the American Patriot and pamphleteer died there way back when. Not in the current building, but a wooden house that stood on the spot in the early 1800's.

There's a lot of history in that basement walk-down. Mine and everyone elses.

Q said...

TTB and Bare singalongs at a bar?! My god, the Rapture has come -- that's heaven on earth if ever I heard of it.